So...at long last we have had word that our container is being delivered to us this Saturday! Yesterday we heard that it had been randomly selected for an x-ray and it worried us a bit - not in terms of what they might find but how long it might delay things! Anyway all was fine and it's been released to the relocation company and will be with us between 8 and 9am on Saturday (3 days and counting). The process will be the reverse of packing up and some dudes will unload and unpack everything and Simon will oversee this while I take the small people out for the morning. Luckily the weather forecast looks good so the plan will be to go to a park in Los Gatos that Louis loves (loads of climbing frames). We're getting really excited about having all our things and being able to make our house feel like our home. We've been talking to Louis about what toys he'll be able to play with again so I'm sure there will be a lot of excitement. It'll be lovely to get his and Chloe's rooms sorted and hopefully soon Chloe will sleep in her own room rather than ours.
Another development today is that I passed my written driving test. Unfortunately I still haven't got my temporary drivers license as there's an issue about whether I need a social security number or not first so I need to take a trip to the local social security office tomorrow to investigate (that'll be interesting with Louis and Chloe in tow!). But at least the test is over and done with and I can still legally drive on my UK license. I drove the new car (ahem!) back home after the test and although it is the biggest thing I have ever driven it really didn't feel it on these wide roads and amongst similar sized and even larger vehicles.
The children are fine, though I think Louis is craving some company from kids his own age. I've joined an online meet-up group and there are plenty of play dates we can gatecrash so I'll get on the case next week. He's totally potty trained now in the day which is great. We're also going to make a decision about preschools next week. I think the one we'll apply for is within walking distance which is a bonus and seemed the most flexible in terms of attendance. The other two we saw were very academic and one even banned the word "play" in the classroom and expected him to attend every morning in the first instance, then moving up to 5 full days after that. Totally OTT and unnecessary as far as we're concerned, especially as I'm not working; it would cost nearly $1000 per month; and 2 hours in the afternoon is an enforced nap time (as dictated by California state law). Chloe is growing fast as you'd expect and chuckling lots. Got to start thinking about weaning soonish as she's getting hungrier and showing a lot of interest in nomming. She still hates the car and screams her heart out almost every journey. Nothing will soothe her - apart from me but in the most part that's just not possible. Really hope this phase passes as it's a deeply unpleasant soundtrack to car journeys (long or short).
So all in all a busy week ahead what with the arrival of all our worldy goods, preschools, selecting doctors and dentists. We'll take some photos of the grand unloading and post them up.
Be in touch, miss you all.
xx
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
hi glad your expecting your furniture sat you wont know yourselves when your all straight and Louis will be delighted with his toys some will seem like new to him. seems a lot going on with playschool driving and other things but sure it will all sort itself out. Love and God Bless Mum and Dad.
Following your progress. Sounds pretty good so far - things falling into place. It's normal out there to be driving cars like yours - part of the American life-style. Have fun unpacking & of course enjoy your toys Louis! Elana Mae has something in common with Chloe - not keen on car journeys!!!
Bless you all. ML & Keith
Hi, just came across your blog. I am British & moved here 11mths ago, I also live in San Jose & have 2 kids. I am a member of a British Mums group in the area who meet regularly. My e-mail is lucyabrook@googlemail.com if you are interested in meeting some more Brit mums in the area! Lucy
Post a Comment